Ladki Bahin Scheme Beneficiaries to Be Scrutinised Based on Complaints: Maharashtra Minister

  • India
  • January 2, 2025
  • 0 Comments

Mumbai: The Maharashtra government has decided to take action based on complaints about bogus beneficiaries of the Ladki Bahin Yojana, and sought information from the Income Tax Department and Transport Department for their verification.

Maharashtra Women and Child Development Minister Aditi Tatkare, who made this announcement on Thursday, made it clear that the government will only address complaints regarding the bogus beneficiaries.

Under the Mukyamantri Majhi Ladki Bahin Yojana, launched by the previous Eknath Shinde-led government in August last year, eligible women are provided a monthly allowance of Rs 1,500.

The scheme is said to have played a key role in the victory of the ruling Mahayuti in the November 20 elections. However, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis later indicated that there would be a scrutiny of the beneficiaries of the scheme.

“The Maharashtra government is not taking any drive to scrutinise the beneficiaries of the Ladki Bahin Yojana. We have not changed any government policies. We are only addressing the complaints filed with local government offices,” Tatkare said.

Earlier, she had said that no scrutiny would be conducted regarding the beneficiaries of the scheme.

“We have sought data from the Income Tax Department and the State Transport Department as some complaints involve beneficiaries with income above the set threshold or who own a four-wheeler. Once we receive this data, we will be able to address those complaints,” she said.

When asked about how many of the 2.5 crore beneficiaries could be removed from the scheme following the scrutiny, she said, “We do not have any data about how many beneficiaries will be omitted from the scheme. It is not available in percentage either. We need some time to get a fair idea about it.” “We’ve encountered issues such as Aadhaar mismatches with some applications being submitted multiple times. Then there is a domicile issue, wherein beneficiaries hailing from Maharashtra moved elsewhere after marriage. For example, some women have relocated to Karnataka after getting married,” she said.

She said local officials had received reports of beneficiaries submitting false documents to claim benefits.

Some beneficiaries have informed the state government that they wish to withdraw their names from the scheme after securing government jobs, she added.

Regarding beneficiaries receiving financial support from other schemes, she stated, “If a beneficiary is seeking assistance from another government scheme, we will provide only the gap matching funds. For instance, if a woman receives Rs 1,000 under one scheme and then enrols in the Ladki Bahin scheme, she will receive Rs 500 from the state government instead of the entire Rs 1,500.” Complaints have emerged from districts such as Palghar, Yavatmal, Wardha, and Phaltan in Satara, prompting the ministry to initiate a cross-verification process. 

 

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by Republic and is published from a syndicated feed.)

 

 

  • Related Posts

    2006 Batch Female IPS Vijaya Laxmi to Lead CRPF in Terror-Hit Area Jammu Sector

    2006 batch IPS Officer Annepu Vijaya Laxmi is set to lead Jammu Frontier of Central Reserve Police Force, taking charge from 2004 batch IPS Amol Vinukant Homkar who was posted to Jammu in February this year. In a recent order, Annepu Vijaya Laxmi has been posted as Inspector Gene Read More

    ‘Youth Want Solutions, Not Rhetoric’: RJD Leaders March to Raj Bhavan Over Paper Leaks, Unemployment

    Patna: Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) leaders and workers on Wednesday staged a foot march in Patna towards Raj Bhavan, raising issues of paper leaks, unemployment and problems faced by students and youth in Bihar.The march was held following RJD leader and Leader of Opposition in th Read More

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *