PM Modi Announces ₹2 Lakh Ex-gratia To Kin of Deceased In Mumbai Boat Accident

  • India
  • December 18, 2024
  • 0 Comments

Mumbai: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday condoled the deaths in the Mumbai ferry accident and announced Rs 2 lakh ex-gratia to the next of kin of the deceased through the PM National Relief Fund. 

PM Modi also announced that ₹50,000 would be provided to those who have been injured in the tragic accident.

Thirteen persons died and 99 others were rescued after a Navy craft crashed into a ferry off the Mumbai coast on Wednesday, the Navy said.

At about 4 pm, a Navy craft undergoing engine trials lost control and collided with passenger ferry Neel Kamal off Karanja near Mumbai, the Navy said in a statement. The ferry was carrying passengers from the Gateway of India to Elephanta Island, a popular tourist destination.

“The boat mishap in Mumbai is saddening. Condolences to the bereaved families. I pray that the injured recover soon. Those affected are being assisted by the authorities,” Modi was quoted as saying by his office in a post on X.

“The Prime Minister has announced an ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakh from PMNRF for the next of kin of each deceased in the boat mishap in Mumbai. The injured would be given Rs 50,000,” the PMO said.

Search and Rescue efforts were immediately launched by the Navy in coordination with the Coast Guard and Marine Police. Four naval helicopters, 11 naval craft, one Coast Guard boat and three Marine Police boats were involved in the rescue efforts, the Navy said.

The survivors picked up by Navy and civil craft in the area have been transferred to jetties and hospitals in the vicinity. So far, 99 survivors have been rescued, it added.

The accident led to the loss of 13 lives, including a Naval personnel and two from the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) on board the Naval craft, the Navy said.

  • Related Posts

    SC Upholds Hanging As Mode of Death Penalty; Dismisses PIL for Alternative Way to Execute Death Row Prisoners

    New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday dismissed a plea seeking an alternative and more dignified method of executing death row convicts, declining to interfere with hanging as the existing mode of execution for carrying out the death penalty.A bench of Justices Vikram Nath and Read More

    Uttarakhand Chamoli Tunnel Collapse: Death Toll Rises to 9, Rescue Operation Continues

    Chamoli: The death toll in the THDC tunnel collapse at Pipalkoti in Uttarakhand rose to nine on Tuesday after rescuers retrieved the body of another missing worker, while the search for one remaining worker continued on a war footing, officials said.According to the Chamoli Distr Read More

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *